SynTech Research is currently seeking an Assistant Field Biologist to support its UK field trials team based at our headquarters in Pakenham (Suffolk, UK):
Key Position Summary:
- To provide support with the execution and timely delivery of the UK field trials programme (GEP Bioefficacy and GLP – Crop Residue and Environmental Fate field trials/studies). Trials will involve field testing the efficacy and safety of pesticides, bio-pesticides, bio stimulants and fertilisers.
- To primarily work alongside Field Biologists and provide “hands on” field trial support. Full training and supervision provided but some tasks may be delegated (when suitably trained) and be required to conduct alone.
- To support with agronomic operations and general site maintenance activities at the field facility in Pakenham, as required.
- Full-time Contract (155 hrs/month). Duration: 6 months (e.g. April-Oct) with the option of extension depending on the success/development of the individual and personal circumstances. Future career opportunities to train and progress to fulfill a permanent full time Field Biologist role within the UK team are possible and will be considered.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under supervision, assist the UK field trials team with all operations needed to execute the annual field trials programme – trial plot marking, test item measuring & application, assessment of product performance, trial harvesting and data capture/recording (including some use of ARM).
- Provide practical assistance (on-site and off-site) to ensure quality crops and targets for field trial experiments (e.g. pest & weed control, crop sampling and harvesting).
- Under instruction, carry out all delegated field trial tasks to the required levels to satisfy GEP and/or GLP compliance (following local Standard Operating procedures and trial protocols) and local (HSE) company safety standards. Full “on the job” training and PPE will be provided.
- Develop a detailed action plan for all tasks allocated to them (including priorities) and executes them successfully in a professional manner on-time to meet all trial objectives.
- Role will be based at our fixed field testing facility (Pakenham, Suffolk) but regular travel to off-site field trial locations (typically within 2 hours drive) will be required (vehicle provided).
- Role will require flexible working (i.e. based on the weather/crop growth/farmer activities) with occasional long days involving some physical tasks. May be required to work early mornings, evenings, some weekends and public holidays – time off can be taken in lieu).
Qualifications/Education/Experience/Soft Skills requirements:
- Ideally BSc or equivalent qualification in Agriculture or Biological related Science.
- Candidates with A-Levels (A-C grade) in Biology and Chemistry would be considered.
- Relevant practical field trial or agricultural (on-farm) experience would be desirable but not essential (full training provided).
- Good written and verbal English.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Self-driven and happy to work alone as well as in a team.
- Happy to work in an outdoor field environment, sometimes under challenging weather conditions
A copy of the job description can be downloaded here.
|Location:||Pakenham, Suffolk, UK|
|Contact:||For further information and to forward your CV contact Debbie Hills Email: email@example.com or Tel: +44 (0)1359 231732/+44 (0)918702558.|
|Closing date:||31st Mar 2021|